The General Practice Service Committee (GPSC) launched a Practice Support Program (PSP) in BC to provide support and training to physicians and their staff to improve clinical and practice management and to support the enhanced delivery of patient care.
The PSP provides training and support through practice coaching and various other training and quality improvement tools and resources. Coaches meet with physicians and their staff to identify and implement changes related to office and/or clinical practice and provide on-going support to sustain any improvements that result.
Coaches work with Physicians to:
- Support sites with Electronic Medical Record (EMR) optimization, processes and functionality to assist physicians and Inter-professional teams with meaningful improvements by understanding and improving their patient panels (e.g. education in updating patient charts to active status, standard data entry and coding standards, and setting up patient recalls and care plans)
- Provide 'at the elbow' support through in practice coaching by assessing readiness and supporting engagement in quality improvement, including coordinating regular time/space for reflection and context assessment in the clinic or department
- Determine office needs related to workflow and/or clinical practice and help implement action plans to enhance current office processes
- Facilitate the use of evidence, tools, and various resources to support quality improvement through the PSP learning modules and small group learning sessions
- Support the education of staff to use patient self-management techniques
- Support in-practice group medical visit implementation.
- Collaborate with the Division of Family Practice and their activities
- Support and facilitate physicians and their teams in establishing the Primary Care Home model and Team Based Care
- Broker knowledge about external resources and tools
Practice coaches receive quality improvement training which is tailored for physician practice in BC through the Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy and Clinical Practice, Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI) Open School or Northern Health’s Intermediate Quality Improvement (+ Green Belt) training.
Practice coach lead:
|Chetwynd/Tumbler Ridge||Rebecca Borton||250-788-7203|
|Daajing Giids (formerly the Village of Queen Charlotte)||Ellen Foster||250-559-4922|
|Dawson Creek/Fort Nelson||Charleigh Rudy||250-782-8501|
|Fort Nelson||Diana Penney||250-321-7620|
|Fort St. James||Vacant|
|Fort St. John||
|Fraser Lake||Jillian Hedstrom||250-699-6225 Ext 2235|
|Prince Rupert||Michelle Pele||250-622-6285|
|Smithers/Houston/Dease Lake||Shar McCrory||250-847-6424|
|McBride||Judith Shawara||250-569-2251 Ext 2021|
|NW, NE and NI Regional EMR
- Spring 2021 - Practice Support Coaching in the North
- Winter 2020 - Practice Support Coaching in the North
- Fall 2020 - Practice Support Coaching in the North
- May 2020 - Practice Support Coaching in the North
- January 2020 - Practice Support Coaching in the North
- September 2019 - Practice Support Coaching in the North
- June 2019 - Practice Support Coaching in the North
- October 2018 - Practice Support Coaching in the North