What is SmartMom?
- SmartMom is a prenatal education program that texts evidence-based messages to guide women through each week of pregnancy.
- Messages are tailored to gestational age and include links to websites, phone numbers and videos on topics such as fetal growth and development, options for screening in pregnancy, and preparation for labor and delivery. SmartMom also suggests topics to discuss with care providers.
- To learn more about SmartMom, please visit www.smartmomcanada.ca.
- There is also a short video highlighting the program.
Overall Goal of Program
- SmartMom can support women and their families to make evidence-informed choices for a healthy pregnancy and childbirth.
- SmartMom is intended for women who have uncomplicated pregnancies.
- Messages are meant to complement prenatal advice and information provided by maternity care providers, not to replace it.
Partnership and Endorsement
- SmartMom was developed by Optimal Birth BC in partnership with BC Ministry of Health, Northern Health (NH), First Nations Health Authority, and Perinatal Services BC, in consultation with pregnant women, new mothers, and practicing nurses, doctors, midwives, and experts in environmental health and nutrition.
- SmartMom is endorsed by the Society of Obstetricians and Gynecologists of Canada.
- Development of SmartMom was funded by The Peter Wall Institute for Advanced Studies and The Alva Foundation.
Implementation in Northern Health
- SmartMom was launched in NH in April 2017, with the first phase focusing on Integrated Primary and Community Care Interprofessional Teams.
- Women learn about SmartMom at their first prenatal visit, through local pregnancy outreach programs, through posters in the community, and through social media.
- Current expanded promotion efforts through primary care providers (physicians, nurse practitioners and midwives) to ensure adequate reach of the program.
- Contact the SmartMom team by phone at 1-855-871-BABY (2229) or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You can also get in touch through the ‘Contact Us’ button at the SmartMom website.
- If you have any questions for NH’s contacts with SmartMom, please contact:
- SmartMom Poster (order number 10-420-6099)
- SmartMom Magnet (order number 10-420-6100)